Garrison and Ship Guns – Part 1
Cannons for Permanent fortifications were of various sizes and calibers, depending upon the terrain that had to be defended. At Castillo De San Marcos, for instance, the strongest armament was on the water front;lighter guns were on the land sector, an area naturally protected by the difficult terrain existing in the colonial period.
Before the Castillo was completed, guns were mounted only in the bastions or projecting corners of the fort. A 1683 inventory clearly shows the heaviest guns were in the San Agustin, or southeastern bastion, commanding not only the harbor and its entrance but the town of St.Augustine as well. San Pablo, the northwestern bastion, overlooked the land approach to the Castillo and the town gate; and, though its armament was lighter, it was almost as numerous as that in San Agustin. Bastion San Pedro to the southwest was within the town limits, and its few light guns were a reserve for San Pablo. The watchtower bastion of San Carlos over looked the northern marshland and the harbor; its armaments was likewise small.